About Us

Dalrymple Gravel & Contracting Company is a construction materials producer and heavy/highway contractor serving Upstate New York and Northern Pennsylvania. The original business began in 1902 as a small gravel supply operation in Elmira, NY. In those days, gravel was shoveled by hand and delivered to customers by horse-drawn wagon.

In 1936, Dalrymple Gravel & Contracting, the original company, was incorporated and a concrete plant was erected to serve the Elmira area. The company was one of the first in New York State to provide customers with ready-mix concrete delivered to the job site by truck.

Following World War II and through the 1950’s, the construction business dramatically expanded and the company’s construction division grew into a multi-state operation that offered a wide variety of civil construction services.

Our operations at Chemung and Coopers Plains mine, crush, and sell state approved aggregates, with fully accredited testing laboratories on site.  They also manufacture hot mix asphalt, with both drum and batch plants available to customers.  Our drum plant at Fisherville provides a close, convenient source of blacktop for customers working in the Elmira/Horseheads/Big Flats area.

Today, Dalrymple Gravel & Contracting is being managed by the fourth generation of the Dalrymple family.  In an era of consolidation by large international corporations, we are proud to still be 100% locally owned and operated, supporting the Elmira/Corning area for over 100 years.

Dalrymple Gravel's Early Years - Ephraim Old Shovel
Dalrymple Gravel - Chemung Place 1960s